About Us & Our History
Union Funeral Home-Lytwyn & Lytwyn, has a long history of service to Essex and Union Counties, and to the surrounding areas.
The business was founded by Myron Lytwyn (1894-1972) in Newark, NJ in 1936, as a storefront operation, named “Myron Lytwyn, Funeral Director.”
At that time, the custom was to have visitations at the private residences, rather than at a funeral home, so a storefront was all that was necessary to do clerical work and offer merchandise, such as caskets, burial vaults and memorial cards.
Myron and his wife, Anna, had three sons, Harry (1917-1977), Theodore (Teddy)(1923-1999) and Michael (1918-2006) who followed him into the funeral business and to a new location in 1944. The new location on Harrison Place, near the corner of Springfield Avenue, in Irvington, NJ was soon renamed, “Myron Lytwyn & Sons.” It was at this site that the customs transitioned from wakes being held in private homes, to the public funeral home. A private ambulance service was started in 1950 and operated until 1980.
The home style facility was enlarged and remodeled in the mid 1950s, to include some of the largest viewing rooms in the area. The name of the operation now became “Lytwyn & Lytwyn, Home for Funerals.” In the early 1960s, another expansion of the facilities took place, now incorporating the corner of Springfield Avenue and Harrison Place. The modern structure included the famed yellow brick portico on the very corner.
In 1980, Lytwyn and Lytwyn, with the vision of Michael Lytwyn, relocated to its present location in Union, NJ and was renamed to, “Union Funeral Home-Lytwyn & Lytwyn.” The historic Betz Motors building was modified to create the spacious, one level, and handicapped accessible facility.
The business is currently operated by two of Myron Lytwyn’s grandsons, sons of Michael Lytwyn, Theodore (Ted) and Steven Lytwyn. Another licensed funeral director, Charles Castiglione, rounds out the staff.